Move Your Body ~ Here's Why:
Unfortunately the modern conveniences we enjoy in life, although great in many ways, have made us lazy. We didn't evolve to be as inactive as we are. We are meant to move! Both our mind and body benefit significantly when we commit to regular physical movement. Whether you call it exercise or moving your body ~ either way, you need it and here's why.
Regular physical activity has been shown to:
- Significantly reduce stress and feelings of depression
- Help boost memory, focus, and creativity
- Improve immune function, circulation and heart health
- Increase flexibility, muscle tone and strength
- Reduce body fat
If those aren't reasons enough to get your body moving, here's 2 more that might help motivate you to get off the couch:
- Release 'Feel Good' Hormones - When you engage in physical movement, your body releases 'feel good' hormones, including endorphins, serotonin and dopamine.
- Endorphins are chemicals that interact in your brain creating good feelings in your body, while reducing your perception of pain.
- Serotonin helps to boost your mood and reduce depression. There are few ways you can increase serotonin and one of them is through aerobic exercise.
- Dopamine, also known as the 'pleasure horomone', tends to increase along with serotonin when we exercise.
The more your body releases these powerful hormones, the more positive and energized you feel. That's why you want to be releasing them as much as you can!
2. Improve Sleep - There are numerous factors that can make falling asleep (and staying asleep) challenging. The good news is that you can greatly help improve your sleep with regular physical activity. Moving your body not only helps you to fall asleep with ease, it also contributes to giving you a deeper sleep. Both of which help you to rise in the morning feeling well rested and ready for the day. In fact, you may even find that a commitment to moving your body helps you to rise earlier.
It doesn't matter what your age or ability, there's always something you can do to get your body moving. Consider Zumba, Yoga, Walking or Gardening. Swimming, Running, Tai Chi or Cycling. The possibilities are endless and moving your body really is as easy as just getting up and doing it.
How do you like to get your body moving? Leave a comment and let me know!
If you've enjoyed this blog, I'd greatly appreciate you sharing it so that others can benefit from reading it as well. Thank you.
Looking for more tips to help you live well? Check out Your Live Well Journey - The Podcast, every episode offers ways to help you improve your self-care.